Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

197 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

My question to be answered by Dr XXXXXXX D. I

Answered by
Dr. Yogesh D

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2009

Answered : 886 Questions

Posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2019 in General Health
Question: My question to be answered by Dr XXXXXXX D.
I have already informed you about my husband's case regarding.GERD and H.Pyllori infection.
He has recoverd from the same.
But right now he has a problem of throat infection.He ia also suffering from vomitting sensation,He has already taken required medicines from our famly doctor.,but his problem is continued ,
Is this throat trouble and vomitting sensation is related to acidity or GERD?? Worried a lot.
Dr XXXXXXX pl answer asap.
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Apologies for the previous answer. How is the throat infection now?

Detailed Answer:

Welcome back,

I am very sorry for the previous answer by one of our other internal doctor, I was on leave on the day you posted your question, so thinking that I will not answer it, she has answered it.

As for the photograph of me, it was changed by myself as the company wanted a recent, front facing photograph, it is indeed myself, I changed it to another one just today.

I would like to know your husbands condition right now, is he still suffering from throat infection/irritation? Or did it subside after he took the medicines given by your family doctor?

Can you please describe the symptoms your husband is experiencing right now?

Does he have cough, cold and pain in the throat?

Does he have fevers?

Is there any sputum/phlegm with the cough?

Vomiting can be due to irritation of the stomach which can happen when there is some infection going on anywhere else in the body, or it could be due irritation of vagus nerve due to infection of the ear which is a part of the throat infection.

I don't think there is anything worth worrying about, we all suffer from throat infections once or twice a year, and they are usually self limiting viral infections that settle down in about 1 week to 10 days.

If the fever and throat pain persists for more than 10 days, then we need to consider antibiotics for the infection.

Meanwhile, I suggest you to ask your husband to do Betadine mouth gargles 3 times a day for 5 days, this will work well against bacteria as well as viruses and gives excellent results.

If there is cough and cold, I usually prescribe tablet Ebast-DC, this is a prescription only medicine, so ask your family doctor to prescribe the same.

If there is foul smelling, yellowish or greenish sputum then do get a throat swab culture and sensitivity test to find out the exact bacteria causing the infection.

If there is absolutely no fever or cough or cold or throat pain, if it is just sour taste in mouth with irritation of the throat which is not getting better, then we can consider GERD as the cause.

I would like you to write back to me with the updates dear XXXXXXX so that I can help you further.

I hope you will find this information useful, looking forward to guide you further.

My best wishes to you and your husband and all of your family, I hope you will have a wonderful new year.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Yogesh D 20 hours later
Thx a lot doctor.its my pleasure that u explained my
confusion about yr photograph .Since your prescriptions
always worked well,I always expect yr guidance and specifically mention for yr help before asking questoon.
My husband's symptoms
1.recurrent throat infection with sour throat
2.No fever ,cough,cold.
3.He is active .Vomitting sensation is not a recurrent symptom but seen may be once in a week.He takes only pan 40.and no other medicine,
4.He is active and attends office regularly ,I,e,he bares throat infection.
pl suggest remedy
thx and regards,

Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Recurrent throat infection could be due to bacterial colonisation.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back to me with all the details asked.

1. Recurrent throat infection is most likely a result of harmful bacterial colonisation of the throat. In some people, bad bacteria persist in the throat and can cause repeated infections, this can be confirmed by testing by throat swab culture and sensitivity. You must consult an ENT specialist and get the throat swab culture and sensitivity test done to rule out bacterial colonisation.

If the culture comes as negative, then we can conclude that the GERD is still persisting.

You mentioned that your husband is continuing to take Tablet. Pan 40, instead of that, I would suggest to take either Tablet. Ganaton Total (contains pantoprazole and Itopride) or Tablet. Sompraz-IT (contains Esomeprazole with Itopride).

Itopride will reduce Oesophageal reflux and Esomeprazole will reduce acid production and makes the lower oesophageal sphincter tighter, so reduces the reflux.

3. Occasional vomiting sensation is most likely due to fullness of the stomach, can be reduced by the above mentioned tablets (Ganaton Total or Sompraz-IT), and your husband should make some lifestyle modifications like eating smaller meals, and avoiding oily and fatty meals, completely stopping drinking eno or pepsi and coke and such aerated drinks.

If he smokes, he should stop smoking completely.

And if he consumes alcohol regularly, he should stop that as well.

And stop tea completely. Tea makes GERD worse by making the lower oesophageal sphincter lax.

I am hoping that this information will be useful to you. I will be delighted to be able to help you in future as well, so please do not hesitate to post your questions directly to me.

In the future, you can ask a direct query to me by clicking this link If you post queries by following that link, the query can only be answered by me.

I wish you and your family a very happy new year again.

Warm regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on