My husband just received a lab report. His SGOT is
Too early to tell.
Hello and thanks for using 'Ask a Doctor'. Your husband's labs show a mild elevation of SGOT and SGPT, with a more marked elevation of GGT. This pattern is suggestive of a disease process that affects the bile ducts that drain the liver and the gall bladder into the intestine. There are many causes for this, some serious (such as malignancy), others more benign (such as stones or alcohol use). The next step would be an ultrasound to look for something outside of the liver that could be blocking the bile ducts, or whether it looks like there is disease in the liver itself that is causing bile problems. The work-up would then continue based on the results of that ultrasound.
I hope that helps answer your question. If you have other labs (including normal results) or any symptoms he might be having, I might be able to offer more information, just let me know.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- I currently take cape aloe (aloe Ferox) everyday for constipation
- My husband just received a lab report. His SGOT is
- Chest x Ray was recorded as normal..for a work visa
- My son is 19 and is constantly cold . His
- I had constipation for the last week. It is gone
- Tip of penis stings when contacted by clothing, slight redness
- I have had two knee replacements - the first was
- hai I have a pain in my left arm since
- I have itchy scalp bumps. The doctors call it uticaria.
- what do when back is paining