question-icon

My husband just received a lab report. His SGOT is

Posted on Wed, 14 Nov 2018
Question: My husband just received a lab report. His SGOT is 73, his SGPT is 84 and his gamma glutamyltranferase is 422. Just how serious is this?
Answered by Dr. Aaron Branch (55 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Too early to tell.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using 'Ask a Doctor'. Your husband's labs show a mild elevation of SGOT and SGPT, with a more marked elevation of GGT. This pattern is suggestive of a disease process that affects the bile ducts that drain the liver and the gall bladder into the intestine. There are many causes for this, some serious (such as malignancy), others more benign (such as stones or alcohol use). The next step would be an ultrasound to look for something outside of the liver that could be blocking the bile ducts, or whether it looks like there is disease in the liver itself that is causing bile problems. The work-up would then continue based on the results of that ultrasound.

I hope that helps answer your question. If you have other labs (including normal results) or any symptoms he might be having, I might be able to offer more information, just let me know.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Aaron Branch