Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

172 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

My husband has either an abscess or a fistula that

Answered by
Dr. Yogesh D

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2009

Answered : 934 Questions

Posted on Sun, 23 Dec 2018 in Lump
Question: My husband has either an abscess or a fistula that has busted and has been discharging pus for 12 days now, is that a good thing?
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The pus needs to be drained completely and needs examination.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to Ask a Doctor service.

I have read your query and understand your concern.

Since the abscess or fistula has burst open, it needs to be drained completely and cleaned with antiseptic solutions like hydrogen peroxide and povidon iodine solutions on a daily basis so that the wound can heal properly.

An appropriate antibiotic course should be started based on the pus culture and sensitivity test.

You must take your husband to a general surgeon or admit him in a hospital for treatment.

I hope this answers your query.

I hope your husband recovers soon.

Best regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on