My friend has lupus diagnosed 5-6 years ago. It is

Dr. Divya Agarwal

Rheumatologist

Posted on Thu, 7 Feb 2019 in Lupus
Question: My friend has lupus diagnosed 5-6 years ago. It is somewhat managed by hydroxochloroquin 400 mg. Since last summer she has been bothered by numerous periods of flushing and sweats that last only a couple minutes. This happens about 5-6 times a day. Because no one can explain it she lost her nursing job at the hospital because they don't know if it is something that is contagious which makes her a liability around patients. ALSO she has trouble tolerating food especially in the 2nd half of the day which she has chalked up to her meds. ALTHO there was a month that she couldn't afford her meds, and during that month the vomiting pattern continued. Her suppers consist frequently of ice cream because normal dinners make her sick. All the blood tests have been run by her GP and her rheumotologist and no one can explain her illness and so she remains out of work. There must be some disease that has these two symptoms in common. What is your advice?
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 30 hours later
Brief Answer:
may be possibly related to lupus

Detailed Answer:
hi these symptoms dont seem to corelate with lupus.
however sometimes autonomic nervous system involvement may be part of the neuropsychiatric symptoms associated with lupus.
however the management of the same is pretty much symptomatic and we dont require to step up the medication that we are giving for SLE.
so my advise would be to take antacid or some OTC medication for the GI complaints and for the flushing low dose medication with duloxetine /gabapentin may be taken, these should take care of the above complaints.
regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Divya Agarwal 4 hours later

What if the vomiting and sweats are unrelated, just considering the sweats alone what besides anxiety could be causing this. (She is not an anxious person)

Assuming that this is not caused by anxiety can you tell me what diseases may be characterized by periods sudden but brief episodes of sweating? The gynecologist has ruled out menopause because during her episodes which may last 5 minutes, her body temperature may increase to 101-102 degrees. Is there anything endocrinological?

How do we rule out that she might be contagious and therefore not a threat to patients in the hospital?
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely to b infection related

Detailed Answer:
doesn't seem contagious.
however thyroid diseases, adrenals by looking at cortisol levels, may also b checked nonetheless.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng