My PSA has jumped from 3.7 a few months ago

Dr. Anders Mark Christensen

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 2 Jan 2019 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: My PSA has jumped from 3.7 a few months ago to 5. It had been between 3 and 4 for 8 years. What has been making me very nervous is I have been feeling pain in the left hip and left lower back for about week. I have gone to the chiropractor and nothing helped the pain, until I stated taking an immune booster called Lifeone. It even said on the bottle that after administering the supplement, pain (especially from cancer) should subside. The pain in the hip and back has indeed eased tremendously. My question is, if the pain is from prostate cancer, should the pain have lessened? (I see the urologist on Thursday.) Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Anders Mark Christensen 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Metastatic cancer spread is unlikely

Detailed Answer:
Hi Dkurz,

Lifeone is a herbal extract with no documented effect on any condition. The fact that is has helped you does not prove that you have metastatic cancer spread. Hip and back pain is extremely common, and it is unlikely caused by prostate cancer metastases. Nonetheless, it sounds reasonable to consult the urologist owing to the PSA.

Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T