Low back pain on right side for 3 weeks? What

Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi

Posted on Fri, 11 Jan 2019 in General Health
Question: Low back pain on right side for 3 weeks? What could it be? No pain in the morning but after sitting for 1 hour pain is intense.
Answered by Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Probably a herniated disc, follow the advice below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear and welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

There are many medical conditions that can cause back pain on the right side.

In my daily practice, the most common causes of back pain are a muscle strain and herniated disc.

The fact that the pain increases after sitting are more related to a herniated disc.

The herniated disc consists in a disc between two vertebrae that herniate on the right side of the spine.

I would recommend you to do an x-ray to confirm the diagnosis and treat it properly.

Meanwhile, I would recommend anti-inflammatory medications to reduce the pain such as Ibuprofen 400 mg three times a day.

I also recommend anti-inflammatory creams for local application such as Voltaren cream.

I suggest you to continue using hot compresses for relief.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee