Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

Low BP. Had quadruple bypass surgery long back. What should be done to keep the pressure in balance?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3632 Questions
hi my mom is 85 yrs old . 14 years ago she had quadruple bypass surgery . she lives a good life ,out everyday on her own driving up to 100 miles when she wants to. she is on lots of meds . about 6 hours ago she tested her blood pressure it was 95 over 48.. she is not a frail women. her pressure is now 116 over 61 after eating a salty meal to help it up.. she is unwilling to go to the hospital. and she wants to wait 36 hours to see her private doctor. what will help her pressure stay up
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 28 minutes later

Thanks for your query.

The salty meal will surely keep up the pressure for more than 12 hours .Also do maintain good hydration with solutions like Oral rehydration solutions (ORS) , juices and buttermilk if available.

116/61 is not too bad reading but requires strict monitoring for at least 24 hours , keeping checking the BP at intervals of 3 to 4 hours .If there is no further drop with the ORS and fluids then you can wait for 36 hours .If by any chance you see drop below 90/50 then she needs to consult a doctor immediately .

Stop any antihypertensive (Anti BP) medications if she is on.As for now I do not see any reason to be worried.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor