Low BP. Had quadruple bypass surgery long back. What should be done to keep the pressure in balance?

Posted on Sun, 8 Jul 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: hi my mom is 85 yrs old . 14 years ago she had quadruple bypass surgery . she lives a good life ,out everyday on her own driving up to 100 miles when she wants to. she is on lots of meds . about 6 hours ago she tested her blood pressure it was 95 over 48.. she is not a frail women. her pressure is now 116 over 61 after eating a salty meal to help it up.. she is unwilling to go to the hospital. and she wants to wait 36 hours to see her private doctor. what will help her pressure stay up
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 28 minutes later

The salty meal will surely keep up the pressure for more than 12 hours .Also do maintain good hydration with solutions like Oral rehydration solutions (ORS) , juices and buttermilk if available.

116/61 is not too bad reading but requires strict monitoring for at least 24 hours , keeping checking the BP at intervals of 3 to 4 hours .If there is no further drop with the ORS and fluids then you can wait for 36 hours .If by any chance you see drop below 90/50 then she needs to consult a doctor immediately .

Stop any antihypertensive (Anti BP) medications if she is on.As for now I do not see any reason to be worried.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Raju A.T