Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online

Knocked knees problem. Is it due to playing golf?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1978
Answered : 6714 Questions
I played golfer most my youth whilst still growing, in golf to get more power it is normal to poke your knees inward, like the knock knees problem, later in my life, being 20 I now have knocked knees, I was wondering if this was due to the golf or do I ACTUALLY have knocked knees, I have seen a few ways to diagnose the problem and have done it and passed. thanks.
Posted Wed, 11 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.
Knock Knees known as genu valgum occur normally around 2to 3 years of age and is a part of normal development and this becomes normal by the age of 5 to 6 years as the child learns to walk properly.
In some cases, however, knock-knees may worsen or persist into late childhood. Overweight children are at a particularly high risk for persistent knock-knees, as the legs may lean inward in an attempt to support the extra weight. In addition, diseases such as rickets  can contribute to knock-knees.

In other cases, knock-knees may develop due to an injury to the growth area of the shinbone. Typically, injury results in only one knocked knee. Knock-knees that develop with no known cause are known as idiopathic genu valgum.

In your case it doesn't look to be due to golf, as suspected by you,since if we go by your logic then all the golfers should develop knock knees.Moreover you are just 20 years of age while there are plenty of golfers who have been been playing golf for more than 20 to 30 years without any problem of knock knees.

In your case the problem seems to be due to some residual knock knee from childhood accentuated by your overweight and may be some injury on knee.

The best way to correct knock knees in adults is to strengthen the knee by doing a series of exercises. Various types of exercises can be done to strengthen the knees including seated quadriceps contraction, leg strengthening exercises and hamstring curls. Be sure to select exercises that work to strengthen the muscles in your knee and not ones that put a lot of stress on the knee like running or mountain climbing because these types of exercises can actually damage the knee instead. Being overweight can also cause knock knees and because of this fact a good way to treat knock knees is to bring your weight down to a normal level. Excess weight can add a lot of stress to your knee only making the knock knee condition worse.
If you have tried these various methods and have had no results then surgery may be the right answer for you.
In your case a complete examination by a doctor should be done. The doctor will be able to assess your situation and give their expert opinion of what the best options to correct knock knees in adults are. Due to the risk involved, all alternative methods should be tried before even considering having a knock knee correction surgery done.
I hope to have answered your query in detail however you may revert to me for any further query.
If there is no other query then please close this query.
Best of luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor