Owl Image

Ive had some intermittent throat pain and ear pain for

ENT Specialist
Question
Ive had some intermittent throat pain and ear pain for the last 5-6 weeks. I initially went to my doctor in mid November. He ran blood tests (all normal results) and also sent me for a CT scan of neck / larynx with contrast and the results were as follows.

Findings

Bilateral tonsillar calcifications are present consistent with past inflammatory episode. No abscess present. The parapharyngeal fat planes are intact and symmetrical.
No abnormality detected in the visualised lower brain, nasopharynx, oropharynx, larynx, thyroid, right and left submandibular and parotid glands. No calculus seen. There is no cystic or solid or suspicious mass. No cervical lymphadenopathy. The carotid arteries and internal jugular veins are within normal limits. Lung apices are clear. No foreign body or abnormal soft tissue gas. Petrous temporal bones appear clear. There is a retention cyst or polyp in the right maxillary antrum and some minor mucosal swelling in the left maxillary antrum. No bony destructive lesion or fracture seen. No retropharyngeal abscess. There is no evidence of Ludwig’s angina.

Conclusion
Unremarkable

The pain then appeared to subside after a few days.

On 22 December, I was then admitted to hospital to have my gall bladder removed. Upon waking from the operation I noticed a very severe throat pain which radiated to my ears again. I noticed my left tonsil was red and had congealed blood on it.

I recently went in for my post operative check up and explained my concerns to the doctor and he said that I had a level 2 intubation and it appears they may have irritated my tonsil and throat during intubation/anaesthesia. He prescribed some antibiotics which I’ve been taking for 6 days.

Im not sure the antibiotics appear to be helping. The pain is still there In throat and ears, after eating and after taking a deep breath. I also notice it is more present when bending my neck forward and after getting up from sleep. Not sure the antibiotics are improving the situation.

Also, About 6 months back I was diagnosed with reflux which I wonder if this is contributing to all of this.

Do you have any thoughts on this?
Fri, 9 Feb 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Chronic tonsillitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HealthcareMagic and thanks for putting up the query
Your Ct scan report is suggestive of chronic tonsillitis with bilateral maxillary sinusitis.
The throat pain is due to tonsillitis. the ear pain can be a referred pain due to tonsillitis or due to eustachian tube blockage caused by nasal congestion or throat infection. The pain aggravation on neck movement is present in the eustachian tube blockage.
Please send me the picture of your throat so that I can suggest you better.
Also tell me what medicines have you been taking so far?
Any pain on swallowing?
Follow up with the required information

Thanks and regards

Follow-up: Ive had some intermittent throat pain and ear pain for 51 minutes later
Thanks doctor

Yes pain with swallowing.

Would ct scan detect any thing more serious like a cancer etc?

Will send picture shortly

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 25 hours later
Brief Answer:
Chronic tonsillitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Ct scan is helpful in diagnosing any malignant changes. From your history it doesn't seem to be malignancy at all but you can send me the picture of your Ct scan so that I can suggest you better.
Thanks and regards

Follow-up: Ive had some intermittent throat pain and ear pain for 47 hours later
Thank you doctor.

I have ct scan only on cd. How do I send to you?

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 26 hours later
Brief Answer:
Chronic tonsillitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
You can attach the pictures in the reports section. Even if it is a video you can attach it.
Thanks and regards

Follow-up: Ive had some intermittent throat pain and ear pain for 16 hours later
Hello Doctor I wasn’t sure which images to upload. I just received mri report back which I have added to my file. Can you please review

I still have a lot of ear pain and throat pain.

I’m trying not to take pain relief as I do not want to become dependant on it.

Now with ct and MRI both clear, could this still be anything concerning?

Thank you in advance

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 40 hours later
Brief Answer:
Chronic tonsillitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the pictures.
From the pictures and radiology reports, it seems to be chronic tonsillitis.
You should get a throat swab for culture sensitivity done and take antibiotic as per the reports.
The throat pictures suggest infection and must be treated with appropriate antibiotic.
Also use hexidine gargles and take tablet vitamin c once daily.
Avoid any smoking or tobacco use.
Any further questions are always welcome.
Thanks and regards