Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
146 Doctors are Online

Itching and swelling around the mouth, chapped lips. Used facial hair product. Allergic reaction?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 540 Questions
i have had an allergic reaction to the just for men beard product around my lips and mouth. it has caused itching and swelling of my lips with a secretion of puss in my mushtache and on my lips . when i try to leave it alone it dries to a crust and chaps my lips and begins to really itch . also the affected areas on my lips have become increasing darker. this has gone on for a month and a half is there anything that I can do while I wait for my dermatoligists appt on 12/09 because it is driving me crazy
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 6 hours later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

I am afraid I will have to disappoint you, if you are expecting to prescribe medicines in here for you.

What you developed is an infection and I would believe you would definitely need an antibiotic course for proper treatment. The initial allergy has given forth to those lesions.

Yes, you could perhaps apply good antiseptic lotions available over the counter. Iodine preparations are potent and might work sometimes. Keep it covered, and no harm in it drying up. Aloe vera cream is another alternative.

The dark lesions would happen due to the increased blood supply to the area to the inflammation. And would eventually subside after some time. But, a prescription with your dermatologist would be essential.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.


Dr Sujeet N Charugulla, MBBS, MD
Consultant Physician.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Allergist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor