Is wine safe around the period of conception?

Dr. Ramadevi Wani

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 1 Sep 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: I am female and will be 36 years old in 3 weeks. I have lived in USA most of my life. I have one child. I have just started trying for second child. I am in excellent health . I have always done lot of cardiac exercise. My question relates to drinking wine. Can I drink wine till I find out that I am pregnant? How much or can I drink normally like 8 glasses a week? After I am pregnant, can I drink? how much. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Alcohol is not safe around the period of conception and first trimester.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Health Care Magic.
I am Dr Ramadevi Wani. I will be answering your concerns today.

There is no amount that has been proven to be safe during early pregnancy. By the time you find out that you are pregnant, the embryo would be growing already. Alcohol during this period can harm the baby. It can cause birth defects, miscarriage, stunted growth etc.
So if you are planning to have a baby, it is extremely important that you stop drinking from now on.

It would be wise decision avoid alcohol totally during Pregnancy as it can adversely affect baby throughout pregnancy. However if you find it difficult to avoid it, after the first trimester you may have 1-2 units of wine once or twice week only.

I hope this is helpful.
If you have further concerns, I will be happy to answer.

Best Wishes,
Dr Rama
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee