Is weed smoking safe during ICD implant?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 9 Oct 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Can u smoke weed after icd implant
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would like to explain that weed smoking has important detrimental effects when on ICD treatment (implant).

ICD devices are used in cardiac patients for primary or secondary prevention of cardiac death due to life-threatening cardiac arrhythmias (like ventricular tachycardia, ventricular fibrillation).

ICD implantation may be necessary in ischemic heart disease as well as other cardiomyopathies or congenital channelopathies, etc.

In such case the cardiac patient is more protected from sudden death as ICD is timely functioning and interrupting arrhythmia.

But from the other part, it is equally important to avoid as much as possible the potential triggering factors of arrhythmia and in such case the utilization of ICD discharges.

As weed smoking may provoke several adverse effects among which also cardiac ischemia and arrhythmia, it would be a wise and rational approach to not use it.

Though you may be more protected when on ICD implant and no direct interaction seems to exist, I would not recommend smoking weed.

Hope to have been helpful to you!

In case of any further uncertainties, feel free to ask me again.

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri