Is tightness in the groin normal while treating pubic osteitis?

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 19 Jul 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My son was diagnosed with pubic osteitis last year.
He rested the injury for 3 weeks but the issue seemed to come and go for months.
The only thing I believe helped heal him was a strengthening program for his weaker core muscles and increasing flexibility,
After 3 weeks of strengthening his symptoms went away.
Looking back I’m not sure he was correctly diagnosed. He never was given an MRI, and his pain level never matched that of what he was supposed to be feeling. He always had an absence of pain except sometimes when playing and he referred to what he felt as more of a tightness.

Anyway, my question is - he felt a similar but faint tightness during his last game. Is this likely more muscular and maybe more like tendinitis?
I ask this because I see a similar pattern with his jumpers knee ( patellar tendinitis) that he’s dealt with off and on.
And like most teens, he stops doing his strengthening exercises once he feels good.
He tells me he doesn’t feel a doctors visit is necessary.
And after going to specialists for several months, I’m not so sure he’s totally wrong.
He said discomfort was around a 1 on pain scale.
No redness, warmth, bruising or swelling in the area.
He feels nothing in his day to day activities.
I can’t recreate the pain with resisted sit ups or leg lifts(stuff doc did in office last year).
He also said the tightness felt less deep, which I’m guessing he means more superficial, which maybe isn’t really the same thing.
What are your thoughts.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Athletic pubalgia

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Thanks for the query

I have read your query and understood your problem.

This appears to be a case of Athletic pubalgia. Here there is an imbalance of the forces between the lower abdominal and adductor muscles.

Usually an MRI can detect this condition by showing inflammatory changes in the muscle insertions near the pubis.

Physiotherapy is very effective with the use of selective strengthening and stretching of each of the affected muscle tendon units and the use of Short wave diathermy (SWD).

Apply ice 3 times a day for 20 minutes each session.

Do get an MRI scan of the affected region to confirm the diagnosis.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr.Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj