Is there any bad effect of X ray on a pregnant women?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 2 Dec 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: Our dog had to get x-rays at the vet hospital the other day. I am pregnant and I had my 3 year old child with me. Although we did not stand in the room I noticed that the x-ray machine was only 2 rooms over and to the left a few feet. Do I need to be concerned with any radiation that we could have possibly received from the x-rays being done while we were in the building. I did notice the lights flickering when each x-ray was performed so I started to get concerned. Also, does any radiation linger in the air after the x-rays are completed? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: No need to worry. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. There is no need to be worried. Every room equipped with X-ray device has special walls coated with lead. Lead prevents X-rays from getting out of the room. So if you were outside examination room, you are completely safe and the rays could not reach you. Also radiation does not linger in the air. You can compare it to the light (it just has different frequency). When light meets the wall, it is invisible from the other side. X-rays acts in the same way when meat lead walls. So no need to worry. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Thanks for your response. Although I noticed the door to enter the room is wood? Could it escape from that side of the room? Also, how far can x-ray radiation travel. The vet told me they use digital radiography at very low doses that even a dog that is pregnant or a puppy are safe to get x-rays? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: Doors needs to be lead coated from inside as well. Even glass in windows contains lead - without lead precautions, X-ray can not be used in any clinic. X-ray radiation range depends of many factors including unit power. So its hard to tell how far it can radiate. Modern digital units produce only minimal radiation indeed. So even if you would be close to the unit, any radiation side effects risk is low. Regards.