Is the presence of a piece of tissue at the palate post surgery normal?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Question
What is the piece of tissue that dangles from the roof of your mouth behind your tongue? You can see it flutter when you gargle. To my dismay I find that I pull that tissue with both fingers I felt that there was something lose in my mouth which I needed to spit out. I had surgery Friday and was under general anesthesia
Wed, 6 Jun 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
See next

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
Well, you probably describe uvula which is part of soft palate in roof of the mouth. I doubt that you pulled this out and probably you pulled just hematoma which remained after surgery. There is no something danger about all this. It is expected that throat may be sensitive and painful after general anesthesia even for a week so just be patient. Wish you good health. Regards