Is swelling and pain on knees after twisting it is curable at home?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 18 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I fell twisting my knee and heard a pop in the knee. Since then knee is increasing pain especially when turning or moving to side. Standing straight and walking straight is not painful. I've tried ice but seems to be increasing swelling and pain. Is this something I can manage at home?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: Not treatable at home. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The symptoms that you have are suggestive of injury to internal structures of knee which are anterior/posterior cruciate ligament, medial/lateral collateral ligament, medial and lateral menisci, joint capsule, synovium, crossing muscles, bone cartilage or bone itself. It needs proper clinical examination and relevant investigations to diagnose which among these is hurt. The pain on turning is not likely to subside if it is a complete tear. The ligament, meniscus, capsule or synovial injury is best visualized on MRI (Magnetic Resonant Imaging). If rest, icing and pain killers give you relief, you may wait for 5-7 days and see if it subsides. A pair of knee supports can add to stability. But that again depends on your exact condition. If you don't get relief, proceed with MRI. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal.