Is surgery the only option for multiple stones in the left ureter?

Dr. V. N. S. Parinam

Posted on Tue, 19 Mar 2019 in Kidney Conditions
Question: Is surgery required for "Multiple left renal calculi. Mild left-sided hydronephrosis." ?

....................

Thank you.

We are in US now and planning to visit XXXXXXX in Jun. Is there any medication until then to prevent further damage so that we can get the procedure done in India?

Please let us know any medication or any other non surgical process available even if it is a bit slow in process, as my wife is reluctant to go for surgery as off now.

Thanks again.
XXXXX
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, the procedure required.

Detailed Answer:

There seem multiple stones in the left ureter.

Hence there is backward pressure piling up into the kidney. This enlarged the kidney. Right now the size is big but not seriously big. However, if you delay there would more piling up of pressure causing damage to the left kidney and its function.

As mentioned in the Ultrasound scan you should get contrast IVP. Also would like to know if kidney and liver function tests were done and how are they showing up.

For now, I see there is a procedure required to break the stones or remove the stones to ease the pressure.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Regards.

............................

Brief Answer:
Increase non-caffeinated beverages to 3 lts per day

Detailed Answer:

There is only one way, increase non-caffeinated beverages to 3 to 4 litres gradually in a day. This may flush the stones further down and maybe pass through the urine.

You can use Potassium chloride in a glass of water as well to alkalize the urine to prevent infection.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Suma Parinam, General & Family Physician