Is surgery advisable for Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm treatment?

Posted on Thu, 27 Feb 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: my mom is 90 years old in excellent health, but has an aortic aneurysm. How about surgery?
Answered by Dr. Guru 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: Refer below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for consulting HealthcareMagic! Can you please let me know the location- thoracic or abdominal aortic aneurysm The size of aortic aneurysm. A lot depends on these two. Awaiting reply, Take care!
Follow up: Dr. Guru 11 minutes later
The size of her aneurysm is 6.5 cm "Measuring slightly longer. AP and transvers dimensions are roughly the same." 'The aneurysm appears infrarenal. As of 9/12/13 9/12/13 was her last dr. visit. The location is Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm. Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Guru 47 minutes later
Brief Answer: Refer below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for follow up information! Usually, elective surgery is indicated for Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm more than 5.5 cms or which has increased size of about > 5mm in 6 months. Reason for this is because there is risk of rupture. Unfortunately, Surgical resection or endovascular repair are the only two main line treatments to remove it. With endovascular repair, a stent-graft used to line the aorta and exclude aneurysm. You can discuss more about this with your Cardilogist. However, these procedures themselves have high mortality risk which varies from 1 to 5%. Which significantly increases, with more advanced age and co-morbid conditions. One thing that can be advised is- Avoiding smoking and excellent control of hypertension helps a lot in decreasing the risk of rupture of aortic aneurysm. Kindly discuss with your Cardiologist as well. Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have have any clarifications. If not, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. If you like my answers and wish me to answer in future, bring it to my attention: Dr Vasanth. Url link is as follows: WWW.WWWW.WW Wish you good health!
Dr. Guru