Is sharp pain in the chest a concern?

Dr. Sameer Maheshwari

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 9 Feb 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Good morning I had a sharp pain in my heart about 2 seconds and it awakening me from my sleep I've had this to happen earlier this week two plus a lot of gas and I have been feeling bloating take high blood pressure medicine and cholesterol medicine to my wife thinks I need to go to the hospital but I explained that I eat some fried chicken wings earlier.
Answered by Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Does not look like a cardiac pain

Detailed Answer:
This is Dr Sameer, cardiologist.
Welcome.
Cardiac pain is generally non localized, it is diffused, you can never pin point it. It is of squeezing nature or type of heaviness or like a stone over your chest. It increase with exercise or any exertion & decrease after taking rest. It does not change with respiration & do not decrease after taking a pain killer or acidity drug.
So after knowing this i can say that your pain is unlikely to be cardiac & can be because of gastritis or muscle pain.
Still, as you are a hypertensive male with abnormal lipid profile, I'll recommend you for further evaluation which include blood test like cardiac troponin to see for any acute cardiac event.
If that is negative, than their is a test called stress echo which is used to assess risk of future cardiac event & I'll recommend it strongly for you. If that is negative than risk of getting a cardiac event in future is low.
Now the medicine part, carvedilol is a very good drug & prevent future cardiac risks. Aspirin can be stopped if stress echo is negative. Atorvastatin you can continue but we can decrease the dose.
You should also add a antiacidity drug like pantoprazole 40mg once daily as most drugs have side effect of acidity.
All the best & i wish a healthy life for you.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng