Is roxid and amoxycillin safe during pregnancy?

Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 20 Jan 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: is roxid and amoxycillin safe during pregnancy? due date on feb 24th
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Amoxycillin is safe; roxithromycin use is reserved Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting your query. As far as the teratogenetic effects are concerned, amoxycillin is considered safe in pregnancy at any stage while roxithromycin belongs to the category B1, i.e., studies in rats have shown to cause toxicity at higher doses. Since you are beyond the stage of organogenesis or organ formation in your pregnancy, you need not worry about birth defects now. There are no other documented abnormalities over their use at later stages of pregnancy. Your consultant is the best guide regarding the need for the antibiotics. They may be used if deemed necessary. Hope your query has been answered. Please feel free to contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help. regards, Shanti.V.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad