Is rope skipping advisable for a BP patient?

Dr. Abhijit Sonawane

Posted on Sat, 4 Jun 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: i am 38 years old male.i am having blood pressure and taking drugs for it.My weight is 90kg.My blood pressure usually is 100/145.Can i do rope skipping?
please suggest what type of exercises are good for me.
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Sonawane 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Any form of exercise will be fine. Please read ahead

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting in HCM.
I guess you were saying your BP is 145/100 mm of Hg which is slightly higher from the upper normal range for blood pressure.
Yes you need to cut down your weight for which two things are important.
1. Controlled good healthy diet.
2. Moderate physical exercise.
Yes, you can surely do rope skipping. But this form of exercise should be titrated slowly upwards. Start with less number and increase by 10 everyday. Any time your knees hurt then change your exercise.
Brisk walking for 30-45 mins is also a good form of exercise. It should be brisk ie. fast walking and not strolling.
Jogging is better but it could be painful for knees so brisk walking would be advised.
If you like sports like badminton which also helps to burn lots of calories can be advised.
Yoga is also found to be helpful in reducing hypertension.
About diet, one important thing is that you should cut down your intake of salt. It causes water retention and thus increase in blood volume causing increased blood pressure.
Reducing intake of fried food, colas, junk food will surely help you reduce weight faster and also keep your BP in check.
Increase green leafy veggies in your meals. Eat fruits whenever you feel hungry.
I hope with above given advices you will surely start seeing results soon.
If you have any more queries kindly write back to me.
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak