question-icon

Is rabies vaccination required after being scratched by a dog?

Posted on Mon, 16 May 2016
Question: Some times while playing my pet dog or my pet cat scratches me or sometime i get small bite. Both are unvaccinated but are very healthy and are not got bitten by any stray animal. Now is it necessary to take rabbies vaccine?
Answered by Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Rabies Vaccine

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query. I can understand your concerns.
You need to vaccinate your pet dog and cat against rabies as per schedule advised by vet doctor.
You have already taken full course of rabies vaccine 2 years back.
You have re-exposure by un-vaccinated pets. Pet dog and particularly cat may come in contact (saliva by way of licking each other ) with other animals,not necessarily bitten by them.

Hence you need to undergo serum neutralizing antibody titre against rabies virus. If the antibody level is below 0.5 IU/ml ,you need to take two booster doses of Rabies Vaccine on days 0 and 3.

Dr. T.K. Biswas M.D. XXXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas