Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Is premature ventricular contraction a serious problem?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1980
Answered : 1357 Questions
Hello Dr I am a 50 yr old male who has anxiety from time to time I have had a bad cold for about 3 weeks was on amoxiliin and have since had spasms in my left side went to hospital had EKG and it showed that I had PVCS the Dr said he was not too concerned and I should follow up with family DR who orderd 24hr heart moniter....I do get panicky when the PVCS occur as a result my BP goes up ..I have them now at night and Iwake up and have trouble getting back to sleep they last for about 2 hrs will they go away or is it an indication of something more serious and what can I do about it thank you sir for your time.
Posted Sat, 15 Feb 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Anti-anxiety treatment + Beta-Blocker will help Detailed Answer: Hi friend, Thanks for your query. 1. There is nothing to worry about PVCs. Certain medications, alcohol, illegal drugs and high levels of adrenaline due to stress, exercise, smoking or caffeine also can cause PVCs. 2. I presume that you are not on any medications at present. PVCs, in your case, are apparently due to acute anxiety attacks, superimposing on underlying chronic mental stress/anxiety, with possible depression. 3. I strongly feel that you need a long-term course of a combination of an anti-anxiety drug + an anti-depressant, along with a regular Beta-Blocker, such as, Metoprolol or Propranolol (to prevent PVCs). 4. Consult a Psychiatrist, who will evaluate your mental status and put you on appropriate medication. You will certainly improve with the treatment. 5. Also consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with me and prescribe a Beta-Blocker drug as advised, in an appropriate dose, for PVCs. As such, PVCs are likely to improve significantly with Psychiatrist's treatment. 6. Lastly, GIVE UP alcohol, smoking and coffee/tea/chocolates (as the case may be). Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Rest assured : I will always be there to help you as and when you need me. Fond regards and have a nice day, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor