Is passing of green stool 2 days post vaccination normal?

Dr. Deepak Patel

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 25 May 2018 in Child Health
Question: Hi doctor, I have a 75 day old daughter and had a vaccination 2 days ago and now she is passing green stools for past 2 days. Is it serious should I visit the doctor?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Patel 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not related to vaccine and it's normal

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM. Can understand your concerns.

Green colour of stools is not related to vaccine in any way.

A small baby may sometimes pass green color stools because of less transit time of milk in intestine. Due to less transit time, bile is not fully reabsorbed, resulting in green stools.

You need to visit the doctor if stools is watery or foul smelling. Or if child is not feeding properly.

I hope this will help you.
Wishing your child good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Patel 21 hours later
Thanks till yesterday the stools were not smelling foul but from today they are and she is keeping her hands in mouth too much I suspect is she teething?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Patel 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Teething starts around 6 months of age

Detailed Answer:
Welcome once again.

Teething starts around 6 months of age. Now, according to the latest recommendations vitamin D drops needs to be given till 1 year of age for easy teething.

Vitamin D drops comes with name of D3 must drops, sunsip drops, calshine P drops (1 ml=400 IU. Give 1 ml once a day till 1 year of age.

Sometimes, child can pass foul smelling stools but if child is feeding well and stools are not watery then there is no need to worry.

I hope this will help you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj