Is pain in the thighs, buttocks, groin and difficulty walking indicative of osteoarthritis?

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal

Posted on Fri, 14 Dec 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have been experiencing pain on my right side at the top out side thigh , mid buttocks, and groin. Moves down leg and aches all over. Having intermittent inability to walk up stairs and hold mu weight on that side.
Has happened a few times in the last few weeks. Can be fine, walked 5 miles, sat at a 2 hour movie and couldn't hold my weight leaving theater. Recently (last 6 months), my pinky fingers are getting crooked and aches sometimes and was told osteoarthritis. Finger nails also started getting weird at the same time. Looks like deep ridges and coming apart from beds starting on same fingers as arthritis. Rheumotologist says not psoriatic.
UGH 55 and falling apart!

I am normal weight and height and in generally good physical shape. (thought you might need to know that.
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:

Need to undergo Xray spine and hips

Detailed Answer:

The symptoms you are describing is possibly due to osteoarthritis affecting the spine or hips.

Detailed physical examination and Xray evaluation of hips and spine are needed at this point.

So please be advised to follow up with your primary care provider for further evaluation and management.

Meanwhile, you can take Advil up to 4 times daily for pain. Maintain a healthy weight. It is better to engage in low impact exercises like swimming and water aerobics.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Lekshmi Rita Venugopal, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D