Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Is my BP good or bad?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 983 Questions
66 years old. My bp is 156 over 80. Good or bad?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 3 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

For your age, a blood pressure reading of 156/80 would certainly be regarded as a high systolic (upper reading) blood pressure. I would suggest that you consult your primary care provider who can measure your blood pressure repeatedly over a period of 6 months and decide whether to initiate treatment.

I would also suggest the following lifestyle modifications till then:
•     Restrict your salt intake to a maximum of 1 tsp a day.
•     Engage in moderate physical activity for 50 minutes 5 times a week.
•     Try using more spices and less salt in your food.
•     Try and maintain a healthy weight.
•     Immediately consult your physician/ visit the Emergency room if your systolic blood pressure rises to > 180 mm Hg.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if there are no further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor