Is living around a jaundice patient during pregnancy advisable?

Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 5 Nov 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: hi , i am a pregnant woman (8 months) .my mother is having jaundice(hepatitis type a) . can i stay with her in my pregnancy condition.?if yes what are the precautions to follow?
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Should not stay

Detailed Answer:
Hello mam, thanks for trusting health care magic.
No dear, you should not be staying with her at all as it has a feco-oral spread so can cause multiple problems ranging from diarrhea, nausea and pain abdomen and thus can eventually cause jaundice, anaemia and even preterm labor or fetal death.
Even if you get to stay with her then follow complete asepsis like use hand sanitizer and keep clothes and utensils separate.
Dr Manisha