Is it safe to have intercourse during the first trimester?

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 20 Oct 2014 in Sexual Health
Question: Hello Doctor,

My wife got conceived after 8 months, she is running 40 days since her last menses, got positive in home test kit, doctor advised to take uterus scan on her 50th day, do i need to strictly avoid sex during this time,since we have been had sex for long time, i am habituated to do sex after her menses date, kindly advice and please read our previous history{my wife got conceived last December 2013 and when we took first scan,no heat beat,scan result is blighted ovum as per doctor adviced, we have done D&C,}
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No it is not necessary to avoid

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand concern raised by you.

Pregnancy never have been a contraindication for sex and there is no harm as long as you both are comfortable. People have various myths abuot sex during pregnancy but from the medical and health point of view no significant problem occurs due to sexual intercourse.
The only time you need to avoid sex is after 30 weeks when it becomes difficult for both of the partners to enjoy moments.

Presence of Blighted ovum was probably due to some genetic abnormality in fetus and it is not essential that same thing will be repeated in current pregnancy. Genetic abnormality are very common and occur in many pregnancies leading to abortion.

'Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help".
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Thanks a lot just had a doubt and fear about fetus health, because we had sex during first pregnancy and unexpectedly we had to abort it, so i am curious to know so we can be very precautions to continue with healthy pregnancy.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
there is no relation in sex and blighted ovum

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back to healthcaremagic.

I understand the fear but it was nothing more than a co incidence. There is no data which shows that the blighted ovum was due to sex in first trimester.

I hope this will help you to alleviate your fear. If you have any more doubt or questions feel free to write back to me. I will be happy to answer you.

"If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you good health".
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E