Is it safe to apply TCA chemical peel on scrotum for genital warts?

Posted on Tue, 16 Jun 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Is a <20%TCA chemical peel safe to apply on the scrotum and shaft of my penis in order to remove genital warts? I recieved a chemical peel for my face to remove some acne scaring and I noticed that it removed the tiny warts that had appeared over the year.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
may be used with caution...

Detailed Answer:

Trichloroacetic acid works very well to remove warts. However there are plenty more nerve fibre endings on the penis and scrotum. Therefore the burning and irritation caused by TCA chemical peel on scrotum and penis shaft will be much more than what you would have had it on the face. If you wish to try the peels, I will recommend you get it done under proper supervision.

Moreover there are better and safer options which includes imiquimod creams or freezing techniques that can treat genital warts equally better. I am sure your local doctor/dermatologist will know about these as well.

Hope this answered your question. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Dr. Prasad