question-icon

Is it possible to have shingles on your penis?

Posted on Sun, 30 Dec 2018
Question: Is it possible to have shingles on your penis?
Answered by Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
It is possible to have shingles on the penile area but it occurs rarely.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear and welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Shingles results from a reactivation of the virus that also causes chickenpox.

It usually appears in the thoracic and the facial part of the body.

As per your query, it is possible to have shingles on the penile area but it occurs rarely.

If you can help me with more information about your symptoms or a photo I would be able to help you better.

Meanwhile, I would recommend using noninflammatory medication for the pain such as Ibuprofen 400 mg three times a day.

I would also recommend using antiviral cream such as acyclovir ointment for local application.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi