Is it possible to decrease eye sight by doing eye exercises?

Ophthalmologist
Question
Is it possible to decrease my eye sight by doing eye excersices. My eye sight is -4.

I saw few videos in youtube, it is possible to decrease power by doing some excercises
Posted Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Eye exercises cannot cure refractive errors.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to Health care magic.

I am Dr. DADAPEER K, an ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye.

It seems from the history that you are having refractive error in the form of myopia of -4 dioptres.
The treatment options for myopia are use of spectacles or contact lenses or laser refractive surgeries like Lasik.

As of now no eye exercises are known to correct or can correct the refractive errors. Most of the websites do publish eye exercises as a correction for refractive errors. But this is not proved and not approved as official treatment for correction of myopia or other refractive errors.

Only in presbyopia which comes at about 40 years of age accommodative exercises can delay the requirement of presbyopia, but cannot cure it.

Hence to conclude no eye exercises are known to correct or cure or decrease refractive errors and only accepted mode of treatments for correction of refractive errors is spectacles or contact lenses or laser refractive surgeries.

Hope the information is helpful to you.

Thank you
with regards

Follow-up: Is it possible to decrease eye sight by doing eye exercises? 14 hours later
Thank you very much for your detailed answer. I understood now properly.

I would like to go for lasik surgery. Is there any types in lasik surgeries, and what is the lates one. what are the precautions need to take care after surgery. and what will be the side effects in future.

Thanks,
XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can undergo LASIK.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thank you for the follow up question.

LASIK surgery is one of the safe and proven mode of treatment for correction of refractive errors.
It is done after the refractive error is stable without any further increase. Hence it is done after the age of 18 years. It can correct upto -10 dioptres of myopia.
Since you are more than 18 years old and having refractive error of -4 dioptres it can be done for you.

With proper systemic evaluation the side effects are nil or minimal, hence no need to worry.

There different modifications of LASIK. You can undergo the most recent ones like customized lasik or intralase lasik. These surgeries are superior to older lasik and correct normally occurring aberrations thus providing superior vision quality.
Intralase lasik does not use blade for incision and it is called as blade free lasik, thus providing additional safety.

Hence I suggest you to undergo customized lasik or intralase lasik.

Hope the information is helpful to you.

Thank you
with regards