Is it normal to sweat with a cold?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Thu, 7 Jun 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi doc i have a head cold for about 4 days now when i rest I am ok but when i do slight walk outside two blocks i come back sweating but not bad what gives
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
part of the body's stress response

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Head cold usually involves nasal congestion, cough, sneezing, runny nose. Headache, fever and sore throat can also occur. Not all of these may be present.

When a person is ill even if it is only the common cold, the body tends to focus most of its energy towards healing. This is one of the reasons that rest, if possible, is one of the first aspect of treatment.

Even though you would normally be able to do the two blocks or more with minimal effort, right now, with your body's focus on restoring normal function, it would be exertion.
Sweating is one of the symptoms of the body's stress response.

AS your viral illness improves, your symptoms (The sweating), should improve

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions