Is it good to resume Adderall after discontinuation for many years for treating inattentiveness and behavioral issues?

Dr. Soujanya

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 25 Jul 2018 in Mental Health
Question: I am hoping to resume to the only med that's ever worked effectively enough for me to function and maintain my job as well as juggle my family and husband. I have used Ritalin as a youth and started Adderall around age 22. I stopped taking it while I became pregnant so have not had since 2013. I have tried almost every homeopathic remedy and do maintain a good eating and exercise routine . A lot of trouble winding down and staying on task at work. I hope you would be willing to re-prrscribe Adderall for me, I'm just getting way too overwhelmed and am tired trying to "tough" it out. Thank you, I appreciate it very much. XXXXXXX M Jensen
Answered by Dr. Soujanya 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Brief answer... It is advisable to start Aderall if you are symptomatic

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX M Jensen,
Welcome to health care magic,
I have gone through your query and understand your concern towards your inattentiveness to work and behavioral problem that is affecting your family life
I would suggest you to its always better to resume to the same drug which worked better in the past...this applies to any individual as different individual may respond differently to some drugs
I can definitely say that Aderall can help you get your attention back, and control hyperactivity if any
I would like to know some more information about your mood symptoms, sleep pattern, any episodes of irritability, aggressiveness, disinhibitory behaviour.... as I just want to rule out any other mood problems accompanying this
Hope this information is helpful
Feel free to ask any further questions
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Soujanya 39 minutes later
My mood fluctuates frequently between excited and irritated. I don't ever get violent by an means but can feel pretty angry over petty things. I have always been impulsive by decisions and actions and this is my main concern because I am not as effective at work or home. I leave a lot of things unfinished due to distraction. Falling asleep is a challenge,as always, because I'm thinking too much. So, how could you help me?I'd appreciate it so much
Answered by Dr. Soujanya 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Brief answer... I can find these symptoms could be due to bipolar disorder

Detailed Answer:
Hi Jensen XXXXXXX
I have gone through your follow up query and understand your concern towards your irresistible symptoms which interrupting your socio-occupational function
I could find some bipolar features ie getting excited and irritated, sleep problem, impusive behaviour, getting distracted etc
So I would advise you to discuss with your doctor regarding these symptoms and you must start mood stabilizers like sodium valproate or lithium... depending on the severity of the symptoms along with antipsychotics
It will be right time to consult psychiatrist immediately and get your symptoms addressed
Hope this information would help you
Feel free to ask any further questions
Thank you