question-icon

Is it common to experience back pain after a tetanus injection at 20 weeks of pregnancy?

Posted on Fri, 8 Feb 2019
Question: Hi , My wife is 20 weeks pregnant, she is facing some back pain after tetanus injection, is it common or any risk?
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
If the pain persists, it is better to get it checked by her doctor.

Detailed Answer:

Yes, injections are given mostly intramuscular, so, some pain can be there for few hours to even few days in the surrounding area. However, if the pain is spreading/worsening, subsequently, or you notice any visible swelling/redness developing, it is better not to delay any longer and get a prompt check-up by her doctor.

In the meantime, just apply some cold compression (a bag of frozen peas will do) over the area and observe how she stays.

Hope I have answered your query. Take care.

Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Critical Care Specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist