Is hypercalcemia associated with cancer?

Question
I have High Blood Calcium. I have seen an Md with no answers, Possible parathyroid problem, then they said no that wasn't it. Suggestions of lung cancer but again another no. No weight loss, or anything that would indicate cancer. Are there any possible answers you can give me and suggestions for treatment.

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information and some questions for you

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Treatment will depend on the cause of the hypercalcemia, and so an evaluation to find the cause is the first step.

In people who aren't very sick the most common cause is from the parathyroid. Can you tell me how it was decided that that wasn't the cause? What tests were done?

Malignancy can cause hypercalcemia, but usually a person who is producing increased calcium in their blood from cancer is already quite ill, which it does not sound like you are.

Here are some additional causes of hypercalcemia:
Increased calcitriol
Excessive use of antacids such as Tums or other forms of calcium carbonate
Excessive thyroxine (hyperthyroidism - either from thyroid disease or from medication to treat hypothyroidism)
Excess growth hormone (acromegaly)
Adrenal abnormalities (pheocromocytoma)
Vitamin D excess
Chronic granulomatous disorders
The following medications:
Thiazide diuretics
Lithium
Teriparatide
Abaloparatide
Excessive vitamin A
Theophylline toxicity

Can you tell me what tests have been done, and how high is your calcium level?