Is hemoglobin level of 9.8 g/dl a cause for concern?

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Wed, 31 Aug 2016 in Child Health
Question: My son is two months old . His blood haemoglobin 9.8g/dl. Is this normal for his age or it is low. If it is low wat can be done further. He is looking little pale otherwise active.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hemoglobin level of 9.8 is normal for this age

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for asking on this platform

Hemoglobin level of 9.8 g/dl is normal for this age.This lower hemoglobin is called physiological anemia of infancy and it does not need any treatment unless associated with some other pathological condition.
As the baby grows the hemoglobin level increases(due to change of fetal hemoglobin to adult hemoglobin and also due to stored iron).

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad