Is having sex safe when suffering from herpes?

Question
i have herpes 2 she got tested got herpes 1 but borderline 2 and it hard for me as she don't want sex
Posted Sun, 3 Aug 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consult a doctor who will examine and guide you

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query and would like you to know that I am here to help.

The most important rule of having sexual contact (including intercourse) with a person who is diagnosed with herpes, is to avoid sexual contact of all forms during an active outbreak. This means that when you are experiencing symptoms of herpes, you should avoid sexual contact in all its forms. So if at all you or your partner are experiencing these symptoms, then it is best to avoid sexual contact.

But if at all both of you are not experiencing any outbreaks, then the best and simplest solution is to do two things:
-Take medication (anti-viral medication) prescribed by your doctor to help control the infection
-Use protection (i.e. condoms)

It goes without saying that, there are no symptoms (sores, etc.) during an inactive stage and so there will be no direct contact with a sore, blister, etc. This is why, it is safe to go about sexual contact during the inactive phase with the help of medications and condoms.

You could discuss the same with your partner and go about sexual contact. It would also be advisable to consult a doctor who would help both of you and guide you to safe and healthy sexual contact.

I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes.

Follow-up: Is having sex safe when suffering from herpes? 8 hours later
hi she came home from the doctor saying to me the doctor said she boarder line and her antibiotic is over power the herpes that means she a carrier as i never had it until now and past it to me as my antibiotic not strong as hers as we been together for 2 year i don't know its been 1 month when i got it as time will tell if she get the out brake or not as she never had an out brake and
thank you

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Such things happen sir, we can move on

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again sir.

I understand sir. The medications used to treat herpes are specifically called as anti-viral medications, rather than antibiotics.

If at all both of you are not experiencing an outbreak right now, then you can successfully practice safe sexual contact sir. I am sure both of you are on anti-viral medication or have been, just the use of condoms is more than enough sir.

I am sorry to hear that you contracted herpes from your partner, it is indeed sad news as your partner also did not want this to happen. But this is life sir, such things happen. Do not blame her, and move on. I am sure both of you care enough for each other to be able to life a happy life together and not let the herpes be a problem

If there is anything, please do not hesitate to write back to me sir, I am always available to help.

Best of luck and god bless.