Is eruption of a boil on the stomach a sign of Kaposi sarcoma?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on 3 days ago in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Dear doctor
Few days back I had my query resolved regarding hiv and their symptoms...however 4 days back I had this small boil like eruption on my belly developed and I researched a lot of info in the internet...came across an article regarding kaposis sarcoma ....from that day I am really tensed whether the boil is what may be kaposis sarcoma...I am attaching the picture of the eruption on my belly skin...along with that I have few more queries ...
(1) is the eruption on my belly skin kaposis sarcoma
(2) suddenly getting itch on my both the legs and back of my scalp ...kindly suggest the treatment.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Looks like furuncle, not looking like Kaposi sarcoma

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being at HealthcareMagic,

I have reviewed the attached photographs.
It looks like a furuncle which is a bacterial infection of the skin.
It is not looking like Kaposi sarcoma.

Itching on the legs and back of scalp could be due dermatitis or xerosis.

For the furuncle, you need to take a course of oral and topical antibiotics like tablet Linezolid 600 mg twice daily for 5-7 days and apply a Fusidic acid cream on the affected area twice daily for 7-10 days.
These are prescription drugs and you need to see the doctor in person to get them.

For itching on the legs, I would recommend you to upload the pictures of the affected areas so that I can have a clearer picture of the condition and can guide you accordingly.

Meanwhile, take antihistaminic like tablet Cetirizine 10 mg once or twice daily depending on the intensity of itching.

Dr. Asmeet

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 37 hours later
Thanks for your valuable reply doctor
Found out that the itchiness on scalp is due to lice I got from a salon...requesting you to kindly advise permanent treatment of lice and it’s eggs.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Permethrin 1 percent lotion

Detailed Answer:
For head lice I would recommend you to apply permethrin 1 percent lotion on the scalp, keep it for 1 hour and wash it off.
You have to repeat this after 10 days.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana