Is chiropractic therapy advisable for severe back aches?

Dr. Yogesh D

Posted on Thu, 26 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello Dr XXXXXXX I was thinking I should write you a follow up of my condition and I guess the system here is on the same schedule as mine. I have been slowly implementing all of your suggestions. I had a pretty hard week last week. went to see the chiropractor, since he is the only affordable option that I have, and he manipulated me with a little extra "zest" for lack of a better word. After the treatment was over, I started to spasm in a very awful way, since I was laying with my stomach down. I've explained that he has a hydraulic table and that I stand on it and place my face in a slot and he lowers the table so it isn't painful to do that, but still, I could not get over the spasm until he put me back on the vertical position again. It was very scary. He recommended I only see him once a week, but when i told a friend of mine what I experienced, she arranged for me to go to a better equipped chiropractor and my church will pick up the tab. I did go see him before the Holiday, a couple of days ago. At lest they gave me some ultrasound treatment, and I do feel it has helped already. This whole experience with my back has been surreal, I was getting to a point where I was starting to think that I would have to live with this disability for the rest of my life. The chiropractor did detect that I have weakness in my left leg, as I explained to him that I feel like I am wearing a sock with a hole on my big toe, and that I can't get rid of that sensation of constriction. The other thing that I have been able to secure is some physical therapy, which you also recommended, and I was able to get a script for that from the hospital clinic and I start that on Monday. Things move very slow in the world of free medicine, but I am finding some help at least. Over all, I can say that after I last spoke with you, dr, I had a really bad week, because as soon as the steroids were finished, I was putting clean sheets on my bed and stretched myself somehow, and the pain started again at a level that was higher than before. Now, after finally being seen by the last chiropractor, and also having 2 massages at home, I am starting to feel better and able to walk a little straighter. But over all these last 2 weeks got the worse of me and also showed some improvement in the end. I will let you know how I am doing once I try the physical therapy next Monday. Any comments are welcome!
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 19 hours later
Brief Answer: Continue with physical therapy. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to me with the updates. I have carefully gone through your description, and I would like to point out one particular thing which I mentioned in our earlier discussions, that is the effectiveness of chiropractor adjustments. I am not a great fan of chiropractic treatments as I don't see much scientific rationale for that particular field, it sounds 'sciency' but I have not been able to find much literature on that are positive, that said, some studies do mention that in particular cases chiropractic therapy is of some use, but in general, it causes more harm than good. That is my personal opinion. In your case, I think chiropractic therapy initially helped you, but may be due to some faulty technique that got negated later on, and I also think that this has contributed to much of the agony you went through during these two weeks. I am happy to know that you are getting help from your church and I hope that it will be enough to see you through your crisis. Continue with physical therapy, and also with ice packs three to four times a day, and also please continue with analgesic and muscle relaxant combination you were taking. Don't get stressed out, and avoid putting pressure on the side affected. Hope you will find this information helpful and informative, please do write back if you need further assistance. Wishing you good health. Warm regards.