Is chest pain associated with Amoxicillin and Clavulanate Potassium intake?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Wed, 5 Dec 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I was prescribed Amoxicillin and Clavulanate Potassium 125mg tablet for a sinus infection yesterday. I took one tablet yesterday and one today. After taking the one today I've felt a pinching/tightness in the bottom right side of my chest/lung. It's quit painful. Is this a side effect, or could it be something else?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Rare side effect

Detailed Answer:

Hi, thanks for your query.

Chest pain is not a common side effect associated with this medication but it can rarely occur in some persons.

If there is no history of heart disease (though the pain is on the right), no history of trauma to the area, no abnormal physical activities, then this medication may be the cause.

It would be best to speak to your doctor about this reaction. He or she may change to medication to one that would suit you better

I hope this helps.

Dr. Michelle Gibson James,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D