Is a vaginal brachy therapy helpful in treating endometrial cancer?
can be just observed
Welcome to HCM.
Thanks for your query.
I have gone through the biopsy report. It indeed appears to be stage IA, grade 1 endometrioid carcinoma with no other risk factors like lymphovascular invasion. Hence just observation is a reasonable option.
Brachytherapy is usually given if it is IB or grade 2-3 or lymphovascular invasion present. Hence I would not recommend brachytherapy here. But you have to remember that brachytherapy or external beam RT is often given when a patient is apparently 'cancer - free' after surgery. This is to kill microscopic cancer cells. But probably not required in this patient.
So overall I feel observation is ok for your mom.
Hope this helps.
lymph node biopsy is not indicated
Nowadays, with stage IA grade 1 endometrioid, we do not do lymph node dissection as chances of positive result is very low.
If intra-operatively the surgeons have inspected the whole of pelvis well and everything seemed fine, then nothing more to be done.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Endometrial cancer herbalife
- Endometrial cancer uterine cancer
- Endometrial cancer and bicornuate uterus
- Endometrial cancer and uti
- Endocervix cancer and endometrial cancer
- Stomach bruise endometrial cancer
- Endometrial cancer and brown discharge
- Fever endometrial cancer
- Endometrial cancer and ovarian cancer
- Hormone therapy for endometrial cancer