Owl Image

Is a soft bulging on head of a 70 day old baby normal?

Owl Image
Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Question
My baby is 70days old. From last week there is a bulging in back of her head which is soft. Is that fine?
Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be pad of fat or a caput

Detailed Answer:
Hi...thanks for consulting in health care magic. I feel it could be a pad of fat or a caput, which can occur during delivery itself but is being observed now. Few questions -
1. What's the consistency- soft/ hard/ boggy/ fluid filled/ painful etc.
2. Was there any injury in recent past?
3. Is there any fever?
4. Is there any weakness of limbs?

If you can send over the images from side & direct facing views, it would be very helpful for me.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth

Follow-up: Is a soft bulging on head of a 70 day old baby normal? 5 hours later
Yes. She had a large Caput during birth. It was disappeared after treatment in nicu. It is really soft n not painful. Baby is active and no pain at all. Today we consulted her Dr. She said it may b Ckaput itself or cephalo hematoma or lipoma. Is this risky?? Will affect her badly?

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I suggest doing an ultrasound

Detailed Answer:
Hi...first be reassured that as the kid is normal, nothing serious is going on with him. Am glad to know that even his pediatrician there has suggested Lipoma (pad of fat) or a caput or a cephalhematoma.

If I were your pediatrician I would consider doing a ultrasound of the area to be doubly sure of what is happening.

I wish your kid a speedy recovery. If you need any future medical consultation and suggestions, I will be glad to help. You can approach me at the following link. Please find the link below.
www.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-sumanth-amperayani/67696