Is a second dose of I-pill advisable after probable vomiting of first dosage?

Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: 28 hours after unprotected sex my gf took an I pill.. And 10 hours later she vomited twice.. Is it advisable to take another pill?
Is there any risk of getting pregnant? What should be done?
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
There is no need for another pill.

Detailed Answer:

Since the vomiting took place a sufficient time after consuming the pill, the pill would have had its effect by then. There is no need to take another pill. also, since she had taken the pill within the stipulated time, she is amply protected. Another point to be remembered in this context is, if the intercourse took place during her safe or non-ovulatory period, she is naturally safe.

She may have some withdrawal bleeding due to the high hormone content in the pill. Her next natural period may get delayed by a week or two. So, if her next natural period becomes overdue by ten days, please see a specialist for further help.

Hope your query has been clarified. Please feel free to contact for further information. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Follow up: Dr. Shanti Vennam 49 minutes later
She was in her ovulatory period according to the calendar during sex. It has been 2 days since unprotected sex. She is expecting periods in 7 days. How much is it different? Please advice..
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
The period can get delayed by a week or two.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

The emergency pill avoids conception in several ways-
firstly, if ovulation did not occur by then, the pill prevents ovulation;
secondly, if ovulation has already occurred, the pill prevents fertilization by making the cervical mucus hostile to the ascending sperms;
lastly, if fertilization has occurred, implantation is prevented by making the endometrium of the uterus unfavorable.
Thus, as you can see, there is ample protection anytime.

Her next natural period may get delayed by a week or two. So, please see a specialist for further help if she becomes overdue by ten days.

Hope this helps.

regards,
Shanti.V.