Is a biopsy test the best option to rule out melanoma while having a freckle on the cervix?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 27 Aug 2018 in General Health
Question: I went to the doctor today for my annual Pap smear. The doctor asked if I had ever been told I have a freckle on my cervix. She decided to biopsy it and wanted to rule out melanoma. Does that sound reasonable? She also said it was very possible to be a blood vessel or clot that did not heal.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be an irregular lesion.

Detailed Answer:

A freckle on the cervix is a benign harmless finding but in case it is angry looking, bleeds on touch, has irregular margins or is very prominent or gradually increasing in size then a biopsy is needed to rule out melanoma.

During the examination may be your gynecologist felt that the lesion might turn malignant. Biopsy is the only way to rule out a malignancy. There is no harm in getting the biopsy done.
I hope this answers your query.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal, OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D