Is Vasograin advisable during pregnancy?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi
I am 9weeks pregnant and i have migraine i have taken 7 tablets of vasograin till now not together but different times. Now m tensed that i have done wrong what will happen now?? Will ot effect my baby? Also cn u suggest further if i have migraine pain what should i do? What medicine i should take?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Stop medicine and consult doctor.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
No, this drug is not safe to take if you are pregnant,it can cause fetal abnormalities .So consult your gynecologist and go for USG for featus well being.
Management of migraine during pregnancy is a challenging task and hence benefits of various drugs have to be weighed against side effects. Generally, two different types of drugs are required: prophylactic (preventer) and painkiller during attack. Vasograin, a combination of several agents including ergotamine, must not be taken during pregnancy. Tryptomer (amitriptyline) is sometimes helpful in preventing migraine attacks but is of no use in relieving pain during acute attack. It has to be taken for prolonged periods. There is no data on its use during pregnancy. However, it is known that babies born to mothers who were taking amitrityline have suffered from withdrawal symptoms. Therefore, it is best avoided during pregnancy. Sibelium contains flunarizine, which is also helpful in preventing attacks, but has no role in the treatment of acute attack. It has to be taken over prolonged periods. Animal studies have shown that it does not have any adverse effect during pregnancy when normal human doses are given. Studies in lactating female dogs have shown that flunarizine is excreted in milk. Breast-feeding should therefore be discouraged in women taking flunarizine. Rizact (rizatriptan) is meant to relieve pain during an attack and therefore has to be taken for short duration. It is not known to cause any significant adverse effect in the foetus. However it is excreted in the breast milk. Therefore, if possible, it should be avoided during lactation. In your wife's case one prophylatic drug, flunarizine (sold as Sibelium etc.) should be sufficient. However, it should be discontinued soon after labour when the baby starts taking breast milk. For acute attacks the patient can use rizatriptan (Rizact) 5mg to be swallowed whole with liquid and repeat the dose after two hours if necessary. There should be no concern on other medicines taken in the past for very short durations such as Voveran, Stemetil, Pantocid etc.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana