Is Rabipur injection required after being scratched by a cat?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: I had a cat scratches (two) on my left toe slightly bleeding on 3rd of may.... started initially with rabipur on day 0.. I have a medical officer in my neighbouring flat who askd me to get the further vaccines shots from govt health centre.. on day 3 i took vaccine from govt health centre. Again on day 7 i took rabipur from market since I was busy. bt on this day i came to know that the vaccine used in healthcare was vaxirab after asking casually... took vaxirab again on same day evening from healthcentre then on day 14 i took vaxirab... Please advice if I should take vaccines again considering the day 14 as 0 day with vaxirab...
In short my vaccines are day 0 rabipur, day 3 vaxirab, day 7 one rabipur morning and vaxirab evening, day 14 vaxirab....
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can take the 28th day dose and finish.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for asking HCM.

I have gone through your query. Vaxirab and rabipur are same but different brands. So no need to start from beginning. You can take the next dose on 28 th day of exposure and finish as you have taken on 0,3,7 and 14th days.

Hope this may help you. Let me know if anything not clear.
Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Nishad BN 17 minutes later
wanted to know if there was need of immunoglobin too.. Also why in general vaccinations are needed for cat scratches too.
thanks
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Immunoglobulin is not needed as you are not in high risk.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.

Thank you for your follow up query.

Immunoglobulins are not needed as you are in low risk group. If there is cut wound or more bleeding or wound on face or hand due to bite or street animal then immunoglobulins are advised.

Even though cat scratch is not that risky better to go for vaccination to be on safe side. There is no harm by doing this. We can't be sure that the animal is rabid. So it is given.

Thanks.
Dr. Nishad BN