Is ER consultation required if a child consumes vegetable oil?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
I mistakenly thought I was giving my baby apple juice but it was vegetable oil. He drank approximately 3oz. What do I do?
Mon, 4 Jun 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
He may develop diarrhoea - may need medical attention please

Detailed Answer:
Hi.... I understand your concern. But for a 15 month old baby drinking almost 90 ml of vegetable oil can lead to profuse diarrhea. There is a risk that he might get dehydrated because of that.

Not only this, if at all he vomits he might land up in respiratory distress due to a chance of aspiration and Lipoid pneumonia.

I suggest you get him examined by a physician or Pediatrician.

If this is not possible, be on the lookout for signs of dehydration.

You need be watchful about - low urine output or kid being very dull or excessively sleepy or blood in motion or green bilious vomiting or respiratory distress and fast breathing.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth