Is Bio-oil safe to use during pregnancy?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 8 May 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: What are the uses of Bio-oil?
Is it safe to use during pregnancy?
From which month of Pregnancy can this be used?
When all it should be applied during pregnancy to avoid stretch marks?
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Bio oil is safe in pregnancy, can be started from first month

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at Healthcaremagic
Bio oil is basically a moisturising lotion which contains many plant products and is usually sold as a treatment of stretch marks.
In clinical practice it is not found to be very effective in preventing the occurence of stretch marks.
It can be applied twice daily on the abdomen and thigh areas during pregnancy.
But it is safe to use in pregnancy and can be started even from the first month of pregnancy.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 58 minutes later
Is there any better alternative to biooil which is clinically tested safe and better?
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Don't give any medicines during pregnancy, elastoderm after pregnancy

Detailed Answer:
Normally I don't give any medicines for stretch marks during pregnancy except for a moisturising lotion.
You can apply elastoderm cream on the stretch marks after pregnancy. I usually avoid it during pregnancy.
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 4 hours later
Thanks for your response, Doctor Asmeet.

Can you let me know the reason behind why it should/must be avoided during pregnancy?

Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I don’t find it very beneficial

Detailed Answer:
Bio oil is safe in pregnancy but I usually don’t recommend it to my patients as I don’t find it very beneficial.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj