Is Ascoril cough syrup advisable for an infant?

Dr. Deepak Patel

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 6 Mar 2017 in Child Health
Question:
I give acroil ls 2.5ml for my 5 month baby is it safe
Answered by Dr. Deepak Patel 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Should not be given

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.

I think that you are asking about ascoril cough syrup. Ascoril cough syrup contains terbutaline, bromhexine and guaifenesin. Guaifenesin is not approved for use in children below 2 years by FDA, however Ascoril syrup is prescribed to under 2 year children in XXXXXXX - with limited information on the safety.

It is however not given to a 5 month baby.

I hope this will help you.
Wishing your child good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Patel 7 minutes later
I already given it is it cause any harm to my baby
Answered by Dr. Deepak Patel 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No harm to baby

Detailed Answer:
Welcome once again.

A one time dose of 2.5 ml of ascoril will not cause any harm to baby.

You can give cough drops which contains chlorphenamine maleate, phenylephrine hydrochloride like T-minic drops. Dose is prescribed on the basis of weight. For this, you can meet the local doctor.