Suggest treatment for whooping cough and green tinged phlegm

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Hi I am experiencing a whooping cough with some clear and green flem. It burns my chest and gets worse at night and especially when I lie down. Please help
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of bronchitis is more.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
By your history and description, possibility of bronchitis is more.
Since you are having greenish phlegm, we should also rule out pneumonia.
So better to consult doctor and get done clinical examination of respiratory system, PFT (Pulmonary Function Test) and Chest x ray.
PFT will not only diagnose bronchitis but it will also tell you about severity of the disease.
Chest x ray is needed to rule out pneumonia.
You may need antibiotic an inhaled bronchodilators.
So consult doctor and discuss all these. Don't worry, you will be alright.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 21 minutes later
is there anything I can buy over the counter to ease my discomfort. perhaps mucinex dm maybe.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you can try mucinex dm.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on HealthcareMagic.
I can understand your concern.
Yes, you can try mucinex dm. No harm in it.
You should also do warm water gargles and steam inhalation 4-5 times a day.
Drink plenty of fluids orally and keep yourself hydrated.
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 59 minutes later
what would you suggest to be the best otc med for me to use
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can try bronchorex or Brozedex.

Detailed Answer:

I can understand your concern.
You should take Brozedex or bronchorex syrup. It is having combination of ambroxol, terbutaline and guafenesin.
I don't know whether you will get these over the counter or not.
But if you get then you can can't start this.
Hope I have solved your query. If you are not having further queries, then please close the conversation and rate my answer.
You can ask me directly on bit.ly/askdrkaushalbhavsar. Wish you good health. Thanks.